The sous vide cooking technique is one that gets used in home kitchens and professional restaurants often. Sous vide is the French term for “under vacuum” and refers to vacuum sealed foods which are subjected to high temperatures in order to ensure their quick, perfect preparation.
Sous vide prepared food isn’t just food that gets prepared in a bag and served. That’s a common misconception, and most professional chefs well understand the difference. Sous vide has to be done right, and then it ensures both convenience and locked-in flavor at the same time.
While the sous vide technique relied on converted appliances until the early-2000s, it has become a more refined and used cooking technique today for which special equipment has been designed. Perfect sous vide is just as easy for a home kitchen as it would be for an industrial or professional one – and thanks to manufacturers like Anova.
Here is an image of my Anova Precision cooking up some lobster tail.
The Sous Vide Precision Nano and Precision AN500 US00 are two of the most popular sous vide cookers that you can find on Amazon. Both guarantee great results, even if you have never used the technique to prepare food before in your kitchen. Both work with the accompanying Anova app, that puts you in touch with thousands of useful recipes that are guaranteed to work.
Which of the two should you choose for ideal sous vide meals? While the two models seem similar, they are not exactly the same in their features or benefits – and they differ more than $100 in price between the two models.
The following article compares these two popular cookers from the same reliable culinary brand.
Here’s what you should know about these two best-selling sous vide cookers from Anova, and how they compare to one another when they’re put to the real test with their features side-by-side.
Tools for Great Sous Vide
Sous vide cooking used to rely on converted industrial tools, ones that were not actually meant for food preparation, until about 2008. Today, the popular technique isn’t just for large kitchens, but also something that many cooks want to do in the home.
Proper, safe and up-to-standard sous vide cooking requires the use of high-quality tools. Specialized cookers, such as the ones available from Anova, are the perfect illustration of what you need for professional-grade sous vide cooking in any kitchen.
Unlike the popular myths about the technique, sous vide cooking isn’t just vacuum sealed food that has been boiled.
Proper sous vide cooking must adhere to food standards, and be brought up to a specific temperature that’s appropriate for the dish and ingredient. Fish, meat and poultry all have different requirements – and this is something that, at the basic level, most chefs already know.
Excellent sous vide cooking requires excellent tools that guarantee the end-results will be up to standard. Whether you are eating at home or dining at a fine restaurant, you want to know that the people who prepared the food used the best ingredients – and reliable equipment.
Anova Culinary Precision Nano
Anova Culinary AN500 US00 Precision
The rest of this article will take you through a side-by-side comparison between the following sous vide cooker models on the market.
While the two models are similar in many ways, the Precision Nano is advertised to the home kitchen or small restaurant that doesn’t require as much power or time to get things done. The higher-end Precision model is larger, and puts out approximately double the power – this isn’t always necessary at home, but might very well be for some home cooks.
Let’s take a closer look at the features, benefits and drawbacks of each next:
Anova Culinary Precision Cooker Nano
The Anova Culinary Precision Cooker Nano is advertised to small kitchens and home cooks. The design is meant to be sleek, and the whole thing measures just 12.8”. Designed for easy use, you can attach the Anova Culinary Precision Cooker Nano to the nearest pot with easy fixtures that are made to last.
Perfect food is guaranteed every time, with a bright LED display allowing you to prepare sous vide meals according to your specifications.
Made to be high-tech, the Precision Nano connects via Bluetooth, and claims that it can produce up to 3, 000 hours of total cooking time in its product lifespan.
I personally use the Precision myself, and I did use it exclusively for many years until I got my Joule.
The precision is quite possibly the most popular sous vide machine in the world right now. You can find our full review here.
- Guarantees perfect results, regardless of whether it’s chicken, fish, beef, pork or vegetables.
- Allows for fine-tuned settings when it comes to the ideal preparation time and temperature needed for your food.
- Comes with the Anova app, easy to use and with added recipes to make your time with the product effortless from the first moment.
- Gives the option to use without the app as well, featuring a very simple intuitive scroller to set the temperature.
- Cooking containers are an added accessory that you can only buy separately.
- The app is not compatible with all phones and devices.
- Exclusively meant for home use, and won’t stand up to the pace of a professional kitchen.
- Connects only via Bluetooth, unlike its more expensive counterpart that shares a WiFi connection.
- Perfect results every time: Never over or under cook your food again. The Anova Precision Cooker Nano circulates water at the exact temperature required for perfectly cooked meals, no matter what's on your menu..Temperature : 0˚-92˚C (32˚-197˚F) | +/- 0.1˚C (0.2˚F) accuracy.
- What to cook: Sous vide (pronounced “sue-veed”) cooking offers the perfect level of doneness for chicken, fish, vegetables, eggs, beef, lamb, pork, and more. The ability to lock in flavor and moisture during the cooking process results in texture and taste that is second to none.
- Small but mighty: The 12.8″ Anova Precision Cooker Nano stows away in any kitchen drawer next to the whisk and ladle, so your counters stay uncluttered and your favorite new cooking tool stays within reach. Nano easily attaches to any stock pot or container with a fixed clamp, and is constructed of super durable plastic that's easy to clean.
- Customer experience: Designed in San Francisco, CA. Anova delivers thousands of sous vide recipes for free in the Anova app, created for cooks of every skill level by award-winning chefs and home cooks alike. Usability: Manual time and temperature controls. Min - 85mm shut off water level sensors. Connectivity : Bluetooth BLE 4.2 | iOS and Android app
Anova Culinary AN500 US00 Precision
The Anova Culinary AN500 US00 Precision is much like the Nano model at first glance, but there are some features which distinguish this as the more advanced model of the two.
First, the Precision model is made to be larger and measures at 13.5” instead of the much smaller home Nano model. It also claims to have 10, 000 hours worth of total usage time, which is a considerable amount more than its Nano counterpart – and thus more ideal for frequent or professional use.
The Precision is also meant for larger-capacity containers, with a circulation of 12 gallons per minute.
While the Nano has only Bluetooth connectivity, the more advanced model sports both Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity options to link up to the app.
- Meant for casual home or serious industrial use.
- Guarantees the perfect food, whether meat, poultry, fish or beef.
- Meant for long-term use, and claims up to 10, 000 robust usage time.
- Puts out 1, 200w power, more than the Nano.
- Sleek design and look.
- Also comes with the app and its accompanying recipes.
- Costlier than the Nano model, at more than $100 more.
- Additional accessories are required for optimal use, but these are sold separately.
- The maximum size can be limiting for large and industrial kitchens.
- Perfect results every time: Never over or under cook your food again. The Anova Precision Cooker circulates water at the exact temperature required for perfectly cooked meals, no matter what's on your menu. Use the Anova app to access thousands of free recipes and monitor your cook from anywhere via your smartphone.Power 1100 Watts.Power 1100 Watts
- What to cook: Sous vide (pronounced “sue-veed”) cooking offers the perfect level of doneness for nearly any food. Chicken, fish, vegetables, eggs, beef, lamb, pork and more are all ideal foods for sous vide. The ability to lock in flavor and moisture during the cooking process results in texture and taste that is second to none.
- Easy to use: Whether cooking a simple meal or an extravagant feast, the Precision Cooker heats water faster and holds temperature precisely so you can get cooking quicker than ever. It easily attaches to any stock pot or container with an adjustable clamp, and is water resistant for when accidents happen in the kitchen. Flow Rate - 8 Liters/min
- Customer experience: Designed in San Francisco, CA. Anova delivers thousands of sous vide recipes for free in the Anova app, created for cooks of every skill level by award-winning chefs and home cooks alike.
In conclusion, these are both great options for the home chef. If you would like to see some more Sous Vide Machine choices, head over to our article here – 13 Best Sous Vide Machines (Reviews Updated 2022)