Interested in the world of sous vide cooking? There are some people, like me, who like to research every individual item they purchase. Then, there are others who are just too busy and want the best products organized and sent in one package. Today we are going to put together the best sous vide starter kit we can for beginners who just want to get started cooking sous vide meals.
Now, even though this might be called a starter kit, this will last many years into your Sous Vide journey.
You can certainly upgrade or downgrade any of these items but I think this is a great starting point. I will share the best value sous vide kit for beginners in this article. I am working on a luxury, top of the line list as well, stay tuned!
If you just want the selections without reading all the details, check out the table below:
Best Beginner Sous Vide Starter Kit
|Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker||99%|
|Lipavi C10 Sous Vide Container||95%|
|Nutrichef Upgraded Vacuum Sealer||93%|
|Sous Vide at Home the Modern Technique||98%|
|Everie Sous Vide Rack||97%|
Sous Vide Starter Kit Essentials
While you can technically be good to go with just a sous vide machine and any old bucket or pot, where’s the fun in that? Us sous vide chefs are perfectionists, and in order to whip up the perfect meal, we are going to want all the accessories possible. Now, we can certainly add more items to the list like torches, grills, cast iron pans, etc. But for now, we will stick with the basics.
Sous Vide Machine
The most essential item on the list, is of course a sous vide machine.
There are generally two main types of sous vide cookers that are most common in the market:
Heat and circulate water at the same time, which can be inconvenient at times, because they don’t include the necessary vessel and can be finicky to set up with the proper amount of water.
Provide both a heat source and the bath vessel, which are more convenient but less accurate, and take up far more space in your kitchen, inconvenient if you are already pressed for countertop or cabinet real estate.
For most at-home cooks wanting to get started with sous vide, immersion circulators get the job done just fine. These products will typically clip onto the side of a vessel, whether a plastic storage tub, pot or cooler. They heat the water to the cook’s desired temperature, and utilize an impeller for circulation of this heated water throughout the container the immersion circulator is placed in.
Our number one choice for beginners, is the Anova Culinary AN500-US00 Sous Vide Precision Cooker
I have literally cooked hundreds and maybe thousands of meals in the Anova with absolutely no issues.
- This product puts out 1000 watts of power, plenty to ensure fast cooking times and properly cooked food.
- Easy and intuitive scroller dial to set the temperature.
- Handy clip to secure the machine to your pot or container.
- Gorgeous steel and black look.
Sous Vide Container
Why use a container?
One of the easiest ways to take your sous vide cooking to the next level is to invest in dedicated sous vide containers. For one thing, certain recipes like ribs or a large roast are probably too large for your standard pot. Not to mention, sometimes you actually want to use your pot while sous viding another item at the same time. In addition, sometimes pots just aren’t tall enough for the sous vide machine and to fully submerge your foods. Finally, being able to see in the container and watch your food cooking is just plain cool! A container also makes the water displacement method a breeze.
Our top pick for the beginner kit is the Lipavi C10 Sous Vide Container
- The Container is made from Crystal Clear and Strong Polycarbonate
- High temperature tolerance from -40 to 210 F for the water bath, cooling and even freezing
- Exactly the Right Height – 8 Inch – for Usage with the Immersion Circulators
Sous Vide Vacuum Sealer
Why use a vacuum sealer for sous vide?
Fun fact: the primary cause of spoilage of perishable food is exposure to oxygen. This silent and invisible “food killer” sucks the life out of your perishables, affecting factors such as color, flavor, texture, and nutrient density.
Whether you are vacuum sealing steaks to cook and eat later in the week, or sealing up some Mahi to freeze for an extended period in a chest freezer, a sous vide vacuum sealer allows owners to retain the full nutrient value and flavor of their food for far longer than standard zip-lock freezer bags.
Using these sealers to prevent oxygen from entering your food space and degrading your perishables helps to extend flavor, shelf life, and freshness. Users enjoy far more flavorful meals and additional cost savings associated with reduced disposal of food that has gone bad.
Our top pick for the beginner sous vide starter kit is the NutriChef Vacuum Sealer
- Fully automatic simple electric plug in design with the control center placed on the top panel and soft touch digital buttons along with led indicator lights A smart device at your family’s service
- Apart from the vacuum sealer and the air suction hose, the Nutri Chef vacuum sealer package also includes a wine stopper cork, 5 medium vacuum bags (7.8 x 11.8 inch ) and one extra long vacuum bag roll (7.8 x 79.0 inch ), both kinds being reusable and waterproof A complete bundle for your new cooking era.
Sous Vide Cookbook
To some this might seem like a luxury, but the whole point of getting a sous vide it to use it! You will find some amazing inspiration in cookbooks, and in fact we put together a full review on our favorites here. For the beginner, my number one pick is Sous Vide at Home the Modern Technique
Lisa Q. Fetterman offers a sous vide cookbook that aims to do one thing: take the stress out of cooking. Lisa’s book, published in November 2016, is filled with 288 pages of information and is packed with guides to create mouthwatering meals with your sous vide.
- Easy-to-follow cookbook that clearly illustrates how to harness the power of sous vide technology to achieve restaurant-quality dishes in the comfort of your own kitchen
- Beautiful photos and easy to follow recipes
- ncluding over 100 recipes for everything from Halibut Tostadas, Grilled Asparagus with Romesco, and Chicken Tikka Masala, to Dulce de Leche, Hassle-Free Vanilla Ice Cream, and even homemade Coffee-Cardamom Bitters, Sous Vide at Home has you covered for every occasion.
Sous Vide Starter Kit Rack
If you’ve discovered the power and convenience of sous vide cooking, then you know it’s just about the most efficient and simple way to cook food to perfection. In part, the reason it’s so convenient is because it allows you to do so much at once.
For example, you can cook several types of meat at once as long as they all require the same cooking temperature. As you might expect, the opportunity to cook multiple meats at once makes preparing multiple meals a breeze.
A sous vide rack is perfect to separate and secure everything in your container. Our number one pick for beginners is the Everie Sous Vide Rack
- Vertical mount of the dividers stop any horizontal vibration. Includes 7 dividers – 5 are removable and 2 are built-in as holder.
- Best Mount in the market – Designed with vertical slot to hold divides’ feet firmly, dividers no longer wobbles. W8.1″xD6.3″xH6.5″, 710g/1.5lbs
- 18/8 stainless steel base and dividers, holder clip is made of BPA free nylon
I hope you found our sous vide starter kit helpful. This really will be an ideal complete kit to get going. Be sure to poke around the rest of our website for articles, recipes, and more!