If you ever wanted to eat turkey breast that was tender and moist, but could never achieve this in the oven, then turkey breast sous vide is for you. You can set it and forget it while you do other things, knowing that you will end up with perfectly cooked turkey that will delight you and your guests.
Sous Vide Turkey Breast Cooking Times and Temperature
Varying the cooking temperature and cooking times will produce very different results. Some people do not like their turkey meat to be pink, while others love it. Use this guide to set your temperature and cooking times for perfect suvee turkey breast:
Very moist, very pink and soft – Cooking temperature 132°F (56°C) – Cooking time 4 hours
Moist, pale pink and soft – Cooking temperature 138°F (59°C) – Cooking time 3 hours
Moist, white and tender – Cooking Temperature 145° (63°C) – Cooking time 2.5 hours
Roast texture and white – Cooking Temperature 152° (67°C) – Cooking time 2 hours
Best Sous Vide Turkey Breast Recipe
There are two elements to this – the turkey and the gravy.
- large turkey breast weighing around 5 pounds. Make sure that the skin is still on and the bone included.
- large onion chopped
- large carrot chopped
- celery chopped
- flour 0.25 cup
- bay leaves
- chicken stock
- soy sauce
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper for seasoning.
Preparation And Cooking
- Set your sous vide machine to the desired cooking temperature and pre heat the water bath.
- Take off the turkey skin and the breast bone using a sharp knife. You will need these later. Place the two sides of the breast on top of each other and form them into an even round shape. Use salt and pepper to season both sides.
- Use twine to tie the breast at intervals of an inch. Put the complete breast into a sous vide bag or a zip lock style bag. You can use a vacuum sealer on the sous vide bag. When the water bath reaches the set temperature, place the bag with the turkey breast in it. If you are using a zip lock bag then squeeze out the air and lock. Cook for the recommended time.
- You will want to make the skin crispy by using a preheated oven at 400°F. Use a baking sheet and place the skin evenly on it with parchment paper underneath. Season with pepper and salt and add parchment paper on the top and another baking sheet. Put in the oven for around 40 minutes.
- To make the gravy you can chop up the breastbone and heat with the oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add in the onion, celery, carrots and other ingredients and cook for 10 minutes. Simmer for an hour and then strain. Put the butter into a saucepan on medium heat and add the flour. Cook until golden brown for around 3 minutes, stirring all the time. Simmer this and season.
- Remove the turkey from the water bath after the cooking time has expired. Remove the twine and slice the breast for serving. Cut the skin into slices, and add to the breast portions. Gravy can be added to each serving or served in a gravy boat.