You may be wondering why you need to bother cooking chicken thighs sous vide. After all, if you cook them using conventional cooking methods you can get some pretty good results right?
Well it is all about the texture and how juicy your chicken thighs will be. Sous vide gives you ultimate control over this, which other methods cannot do. You will never be able to produce the same juicy and tender chicken thighs with conventional cooking methods, that you can achieve going sous vide.
You just cannot go wrong with cooking chicken thighs sous vide. It is a foolproof method and you will never experience undercooking or overcooking. It can be really convenient too, as you can cook chicken thighs in batches and then keep them in the fridge until another time.
Sous Vide Chicken Thighs Cooking Times and Temperature
Unlike when cooking chicken breast, chicken thighs can withstand longer cooking times because they have higher ratios of connective tissue. This means that if you want to cook your chicken breasts for up to 24 hours, you can do this with suvee cooking.
It is not advisable to cook your chicken thighs at a lower temperature than 150°F, or you will end up with tough chicken that is very difficult to chew. At a cooking temperature of 165°F you will achieve more tender chicken, and you can change the cooking times to achieve chicken thighs that really fall apart because they are so tender.
If you want your chicken thigh to be cooked almost like a steak then go for 150°F (66°C) for between one and four hours.
If you prefer the texture to be close to pan fried chicken, then cook at 165°F (74°C) for between one and four hours. This will be juicier than the pan cooked method.
For chicken thighs that are so tender they pull off the bone, you will need to cook at 165°F (74°C) for between four and eight hours. The longer you cook for, the less juicy the chicken will be, but it will still taste great.
Best Sous Vide Chicken Thighs Recipe
Here’s our favorite sous vide chicken thigh recipe.
Sous Vide Chicken Thigh Ingredients:
By following this recipe you will be able to create 6 servings of delicious chicken thighs.
- 6 Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 thyme sprigs
- Salt and pepper for seasoning.
How To Cook Sous Vide Chicken Thighs
- Firstly you will need to pre heat your sous vide machine until the temperature is at your desired setting (either 150°F or 165°F).
- It is time to season the chicken thighs with freshly ground pepper and salt. Now you will need to use sous vide bags and place the thighs, skin down, into a large bag or individual bags. Then add thyme, butter and garlic into the bag(s).
- Using a sous vide vacuum sealer is recommended to remove all of the air. Cook the chicken for the desired time in the water bath (1 – 4 hours or 4 – 8 hours). Once cooked, remove the bags and then the chicken thighs and put them into the fridge.
- Just prior to serving, either use a sous vide torch or put a skillet on medium heat and sear using the oil. Place each thigh skin side down to create a really crisp effect. This can be done for around 10 minutes. Make sure that the thighs are warmed through and serve.