Cod has a mild flavor, but it is full of minerals and vitamins that are good for you. If it is properly cooked, then cod will provide delicate and flaky flesh which is really delicious. With conventional cooking methods it is very easy to overcook the fish, so that it becomes rubbery and dry.
When you cook cod sous vide you have the advantage of cooking at low temperatures, so you will not dry out the fish or make it tough in texture. It will be tender and the moisture will be locked in.
There are many ways that cod can be flavored as it has a mild flavor to begin with. You can use lemon, spices such as paprika, olive oil and just simply salt and pepper. You can serve cod with vegetables as a very healthy eating option.
- Sous Vide Machine – our favorite right now is the Anova or the Joule.
- Container – not necessary, but nice to have for bigger cuts of meat. We recommend the Lipavi as it is large and sturdy. You can also use a pot.
- Vacuum sealer and bags, or a freezer Ziploc bag. If you only have a Ziploc make sure to check our our article on the water displacement method. You can find our favorite vacuum sealers here – 5 Best Sous Vide Vacuum Sealers (Reviews Updated 2021)
Sous Vide Cod Cooking Times and Temperature
There are three levels of cooking cod sous vide recommended and they are:
Tender cod – Cooking temperature 104°F (40°C) – Cooking time between 40 minutes and one hour.
Tender and flaky cod – Cooking temperature 122°F (50°C) – Cooking time between 40 minutes and one hour.
Well done cod – Cooking temperature 144°F (60°C) – Cooking time between 40 minutes and one hour.
The tender and flaky option is recommended. It is possible to cook a number of pieces together in the same sous vide bag, but you must cut the fish into portions first because attempting to cook a whole fish will result in uneven cooking.
Best Sous Vide Cod Recipe
With this recipe the cod is certainly the hero of the dish. It is a very simple recipe that will produce plump and moist cod with the capers and the lemon designed to lift out the flavors. Other seasoning is optional.
What you will need to cook this dish for two people:
- 2 fillets of cod (around 6 ounces or 170 grams)
- Half of a lemon that you will slice into 4 rounds
- 2 teaspoons of capers
- 0.25 cup of olive oil (extra virgin)
- Some fresh dill chopped
- Salt and pepper (freshly ground)
How To Prepare And Cook Your Sous Vide
Before you begin any preparation of the cod, fill your best sous vide machine and set to heat at the desired cooking temperature.
- To prepare the cod, first season both pieces with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the two pieces into a sous vide bag or zip lock style bag. Add the capers and the olive oil to the bag and then place two slices of lemon over each piece of fish.
- Seal the bag using a sous vide vacuum sealer or immerse the bag into water and remove all of the air and seal it.
- Gently lower the bag into the water bath once the desired cooking temperature has been reached. Cook for between 40 minutes and one hour.
- Once the cooking time is over remove the bag from the water bath and carefully take out the cod pieces. Put these on plates and add one or two tablespoons of the liquid in the bag to the fillets. Add more olive oil and the dill and a slice of lemon from the bag to each fillet.