Let’s face it, brisket is not everybody’s favorite cut of meat and is probably the last thing to be chosen on a restaurant menu. The reason is that it can be tough, dry and bland when cooked using conventional methods.
Is it possible to cook brisket and make it tender and juicy? With sous vide cooking it certainly is.
When you cook brisket sous vide, there is the right amount of heat and a long enough cooking time to break down the collagen and connective tissues in the meat. The natural juices will be maintained.
Sous Vide Brisket Cooking Times and Temperature
When you are looking for tender brisket you need to be prepared for some long cooking times. We are talking about 24 hours or more here. The best results can be achieved over 48 hours.
Medium rare brisket – Cooking temperature 131°F (55°C) – Cook for 24 to 48 hours
Medium brisket – Cooking temperature 140°F (60°C) – Cook for 24 to 48 hours
Well done brisket – Cooking temperature 160°F (71°C) – Cook for 24 to 48 hours
It is recommended that you add to the flavor of your brisket by including liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce. You will not believe how great tasting this can be! With the following ingredients you will be able to cater to at least 6 people:
- 4 pounds (1.8 kilograms) of beef brisket (choose a piece of brisket that has a good mix of lean meat and fat)
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper
- Onion powder
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
Best Sous Vide Brisket Recipe
- Pre heat your sous vide machine to the desired cooking temperature for the “doneness” that you want to achieve.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke together and use this to rub down the brisket. Make sure that all of this mixture is absorbed by the meat.
- Mix up the mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and the paprika. You will want to rub this mixture all over the brisket.
- Place your prepared brisket into a sous vide bag. Because you are cooking for a long period of time, it is not advisable to use a zip lock style bag as this could break. Certainly don’t use one if you want your brisket well done. Seal the bag so that all the air is removed.
- Place the sealed bag into the water bath and cook for at least 24 hours (48 hours is recommended).
- Once the cooking time has elapsed remove your meat from the water bath and dry it with paper towels. It is a good idea to finish your brisket off either under a grill for around 10 minutes, use a high heat skillet or sous vide torch to sear it or place it in the oven. Grilling is recommended here as it will really make your brisket crispy. If you want to go the oven route then go for 10 minutes at 400°F.
Serve Your Long Cook Brisket
Slice the brisket thinly for the best serving results. Enjoy your tender and juicy brisket with a selection of vegetables.