This recipe was written by Stephanie Searor, MS RD LDN
Looking for a new side dish for your next meal? Or want to try a meatless Monday but don’t know where to start? Well, you’ve come to the right place! This recipe is so hands-off, takes just a few minutes to throw together, and can be made for a couple or a crowd. It could also be turned into a main dish; the cooked mushrooms could be tossed with pasta and topped with Parmesan cheese for a great meat-free main dish.
This recipe does have a little bit of spice, thanks to the crushed red pepper. If you don’t like spice, feel free to omit! Or, you can adjust seasonings and herbs to your preference.
You’ll need a sous vide machine for this recipe; if you are in the market for a new one, check out this review.
Also, a zip-top bag would work for this recipe, but might be a little harder to remove air from, since the mushrooms aren’t very heavy; a vacuum sealer makes life so much easier. Check out this article to find the best one for you!
Sous Vide Butter-Basted Mushrooms
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
- 2 cups whole fresh mushrooms (any kind; if using larger mushrooms like Portobello, chop to 1-2 inch size)
- 4 cloves raw garlic, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup salted butter, cubed (1/2 stick)
- Prep the sous vide vessel and heat to 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Fill with enough water to complete submerge the mushrooms.
- Clean the mushrooms by rolling in a paper towel or clean kitchen towel to remove dirt. Trim the ends or remove completely, if desired.
- Add all ingredients to a vacuum seal bag, keeping the layer as flat as possible. Remove the air and seal the bag. Submerge the mushrooms in the water and set cook time for an hour.
- When the mushrooms are done cooking, they can hang out in the water until just before serving. To serve: remove the thyme springs and discard. Transfer the entire contents of the bag to a serving dish, and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan, if desired. Serve immediately.
Looking for more great sous vide recipes? We are posting tons of new recipes, or you can check out this article for a review of the best sous vide cookbooks!