Most people enjoy corned beef with cabbage, and when you cook the corned beef sous vide you will experience a taste that really has to be tried to be believed. You can get good results with cooking corned beef and cabbage by using conventional cooking methods, but sous vide really does take it to a new level.
By using this recipe and cooking method, your corned beef will be a lot juicier and tender than you will ever get from conventional cooking methods. The flavor will astound you and your family or dinner guests, and they will believe that you are an expert chef.
Sous Vide Corned Beef Cooking Times and Temperature
You will need to decide whether you want your corned beef to be really juicy or a little bit drier. Either way the corned beef will taste fantastic. If you cook your food at 135°F (57°C) then the corned beef will be very juicy, but if you prefer it a little drier then you can go for a cooking temperature of 145°F (63°C).
Cooking perfect corned beef is a fairly slow process, and you need to be prepared to cook for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours. To understand the different results with these times please see our article about suvee cooking times.
Best Sous Vide Corned Beef Recipe
The recipe below will feed 4 people and the portions will be generous. You need to decide on the cooking temperature and the cooking times for your choice of perfect corned beef sous vide.
- Purchase the best quality corned beef that you can find. You will need between 3 and 4 pounds or approximately 1.5 to 2 kilograms of corned beef.
- Go for a decent size head of cabbage and you need to prepare this by cutting it into strips that are about 0.5 inches or 1.3 centimeters wide.
- For added flavor it is recommended that you include 6 bacon strips that you have prepared into 0.25 inch strips (0.65 centimeters).
- For a tasty stock you will need white wine vinegar (0.25 cup) and one or two cups of chicken stock.
How To Cook Your Corned Beef Sous Vide
- You will want to pre heat your best sous vide machine to either 135°F or 145°F depending on the juiciness of the corned beef that you require.
- Then you will want to add the corned beef into a food grade cooking sous vide bag(s) and vacuum seal it (you can use zip lock type bags here, but you must ensure that all of the air is removed before sealing) in your sous vide vacuum sealer.
- Once your water bath is up to temperature, drop the bag(s) into the bath and set your cooking timer for between 24 and 48 hours.
Cooking The Cabbage And The Other Ingredients
The cabbage and other ingredients will be cooked using a conventional cooking method. You will want to cook these items around an hour or 45 minutes before your corned beef cooking time will have finished.
First you will need to cook the bacon strips on a medium heat. Cook them until the fat is rendered and they are crisp. Leave around a tablespoon of the bacon fat in the pan.
Now add the cabbage strips to the pan, and cook on a medium to high heat for about five minutes. Add the vinegar and one cup of chicken stock to the pan. You will want the cabbage to cook in this liquid until it is tender.
Once your corned beef is cooked, remove from the cooking bag(s) and divide into four separate portions. Serve on the plate with the cabbage on the top of the corned beef or by the side.