The Complete Guide: Must-Have Sous Vide Apps and Books
You might be an expert in sous vide cooking, but you could always learn more. You might have memorized all the right temperatures for everything, but it would be nice to have an assistant to help you remember those things.
You can hire someone to remind you of the proper temperature and cooking time. But this is really overkill when there are applications that can do the same for you. You wouldn’t even have to pay them by the hour.
Here are a few of the best books and applications you should have to make your sous vide cooking more enjoyable and precise:
1. Modernist Cuisine at Home by Nathan Myhrvold
This is a cookbook that is hailed by Martha Stewart as something that will change the way people cook and use recipes. It offers a lot of insight to encourage people to try something new. Each page will teach you something important about sous vide cooking.
Here are some of the things that set this book apart from other cookbooks already out:
· It offers more than just recipes for the readers. You could also learn about the science behind the cooking and learn things that you did not know before.
· It focuses more on the modern methods used in sous vide cooking. This includes the use of sous vide machines and combi ovens. If you do not know what that is, you would learn it when you read this book.
· There are some very beautiful pictures of the equipment used in the recipe. Photos of ingredients and processes are also included.
· The set up for this book was made with those people cooking at home in mind. So, you will be sure to find most of the things used in this in your home.
2. Under Pressure: Cooking Sous Vide by Thomas Keller
This was already mentioned in the article, Best Sous Vide Cookbooks for 2017, but it is worth repeating here in the must have apps and books for sous vide cooking.
Although this book was published in 2008, it is still relevant up to now. Until now, it is #8 in the Professional Cooking category and #10 in Gourmet on Amazon. It has already been considered a classic by some readers.
The book will help you achieve the most desirable results with its precise methods and instructions. You wouldn’t have to make mistakes when it comes to getting the perfect temperatures because the author already did that for you.
All you have to do is to set the temperature and timer controls, follow the recipe and it is guaranteed that you will have a restaurant-worthy meal at your home. This cookbook can show you how easy it is to achieve delectable meals right at your home.
3. Sous Vide for the Home Cook by Douglas Baldwin
This is a simplified cookbook with over 200 recipes for sous vide meals. This will guarantee that even the most inexperienced person will know what to do when cooking sous vide.
Here are some pros that you might find when you get this cookbook:
· There are many people who doubt the safety of sous vide cooking. This book will provide a lot of information on the safety of sous vide cooking.
· A comprehensive and easy to see chart for temperature and cooking times is provided in the book.
· It also talks about the reasons behind some of the methods used in this book. It won’t just tell you what to do but it will also tell why you are doing a particular process.
The cookbooks above will already mention the perfect temperature and cooking time for anything that you want to cook. But if you prefer to use your mobile device instead of lugging big books to the kitchen, there are applications that will help you with sous vide cooking.
Here are some of the best sous vide applications out in the market:
1. Sous Vide by Primolicious LLC
This is an application available for both iPhones and Androids that will help you perfect your sous vide recipes. It is currently priced at $1.99, a total steal.
The app will help you with the temperature and cooking time for your recipes. It is very handy and you can do a search on what type of food you plan to cook. It will then show you the proper temperature to use and how long it takes to cook them.
The application contains over 175 types of meat, fish, and vegetable. The downside to this app is that not all temperatures and cooking times are tested. So there might be times that you won’t get your desired outcome based on what the application had suggested.
The upside to this is that you could add your own notes to the application, so you won’t make the same mistakes the next time you cook the same thing.
2. Joule by ChefSteps
This application is also available for both iOS and Android. It includes more features than other applications. Here are some of its amazing features:
· Visual doneness. With this software, you can choose how well you want your food done and the application will suggest temperatures and times.
· Notifications. You wouldn’t have to worry about forgetting your food because the application will remind you when you water is hot or when your food is finished cooking. You don’t even have to stay in the kitchen because the application will remind you wherever you are.
· Temperature. It can convert between Celsius and Fahrenheit, so you don’t have to whip out your calculator and do it manually.
· Step by step. The application contains step by step pictures and instructions of what you need to do to get the best results. Some recipes even contain videos.
These are just some of the books and application out in the market. If you will do more research, you can find more. Do a research in the app or play store, and you will probably have a lot more options when it comes to applications.
You can try the free trial to know which ones are the best. For equipment and sous vide machines, visit the review page to compare the best home sous vide cookers.